This Paleo Shakshuka is the perfect way to impress your brunch guests or add into your weekend routine. It’s simple, delicious and always a favorite at our house. The recipe is so simple yet packed full of flavor and lots of nutritious ingredients! Typically Shakshuka is served with a side of warm sourdough bread but this recipe also stands for itself for those that are gluten intolerant.
Give this recipe a try next time you’re cooking brunch and leave a review below! For other fun brunch ideas, try my Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash!
Paleo ShakshukaPrint Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 3 11 oz (400g) cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 6 large eggs
- Fresh cilantro (coriander) to top
- Sourdough to serve with optional
- Preheat oven to to 375°F (190°C) . Heat oil in a large cast iron pan over medium-low. If you do not have a cast iron, use any pan that can be transferred into the oven. Add in the sliced onion and bell pepper. Cook gently until very soft, about 10-15 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in the canned tomatoes and gently break the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon to release any juices. Stir in the salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, coriander and cayenne.
- Allow the tomato mixture to simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. The mixture will start to get thicker as it simmers. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Using a spoon, make 6 small holes in the tomato mixture for the eggs. Gently crack eggs into skillet over tomatoes. Season eggs with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the cast iron plan into oven and bake until eggs are just set, 7-9 minutes. Serve with fresh cilantro and toasted sourdough if desired.